By Roger Daniels
"Once i assumed to write down a heritage of the immigrants in the US. Then i found that the immigrants were American history," wrote historian Oscar Handlin. Immigrants and generations in their descendants have outlined the yankee kingdom from its starting and proceed to supply America's attribute range, representing virtually each race, nationality, faith, and ethnic workforce worldwide. a few immigrants got here to the hot global looking for monetary achieve. Others have been introduced in chains. nonetheless others stumbled on shelter in the US from non secular or ethnic persecution.
This single-volume encyclopedia comprises greater than three hundred entries, overlaying a number of points of immigration background and policy:
* ethnic teams, together with census and immigration records, significant classes of immigration and components of payment, important faith, and old background
* key immigration laws, akin to the chinese language Exclusion Act, Immigration Act of 1990, and Refugee Act of 1980
* phrases and ideas, together with eco-friendly card, quota approach, citizen, naturalization, photograph brides, and nativism
* different types of immigrants, together with refugees, indentured servants, young children, and exiles
* immigration stations: Angel Island, citadel backyard, and Ellis Island * non secular teams and church buildings, corresponding to Amish, Huguenots, Muslims, and jap ceremony churches
* additional studying lists and cross-references keep on with each one entry
An introductory essay presents a cogent review of the total scope of the publication. greater than a hundred and fifty pictures and illustrations supplement the entries. Statistical packing containers complement the articles with key info. a listing of immigration, ethnic, and refugee agencies; a advisor to extra examine that comes with books, museums, and internet sites; and an in depth chronology finish this helpful source for examine in American historical past, ethnic and multicultural experiences, and genealogy.
Oxford's pupil partners to American historical past are state of the art references for faculty and residential, particularly designed and written for a long time 12 via grownup. every one booklet is a concise yet entire A-to-Z consultant to an enormous old interval or subject in U.S. historical past, with articles on key concerns and renowned participants. The authors--distinguished students famous of their components of expertise--ensure that the entries are exact, up to date, and available. certain good points contain an introductory part on the right way to use the booklet, extra studying lists, cross-references, chronology, and entire index.